Saturday, September 10, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

I made stuffed peppers once in college and filled them with my own mixture of mostly rice and some ground beef and vegetables.

We had our own early Thanksgiving a few weeks ago and had the inevitable leftover turkey. I don’t like leftover turkey. Every year I search for another thing to do with leftover turkey that will make it yummy. And this year I finally found one!

This recipe comes from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

3 large stuffed peppers halved and seeded

3 Tbl olive oil

1 onion, chopped fine

1 lb. ground cooked or uncooked beef, pork, veal or lamb (or cooked, chopped turkey!)

2 tomatoes peeled and chopped (I used 1 15oz can of stewed tomatoes, drained

2 Tbl minced parsley

1 1/2 tsp dried basil

salt and pepper to taste

1 cup bread crumbs

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a shallow baking dish. Cook the pepper halves in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Heat oil in the skillet and add chopped onion. Cook, stirring until soft. If using uncooked or cold meat, add and cook until done or heated through. Add tomatoes, parsley, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Lightly fill each pepper half with some of the mixture. Top with breadcrumbs (I put some parmesan cheese on first). Bake for 30-40 minutes.

These are super yummy and I’m definitely making them again.

And one fuzzy picture, sorry guys.

IMG_2915

1 comment:

emily said...

I was just wanting to make something like this! I'll have to give this recipe a try!